Monday, December 24, 2007

Gary, FIL... Friend

A few years after I was married, my mother in law divorced her husband. Don was a loud, pompous, self serving man. It needed to happen.

A few years after the divorce Fran met a new man, Gary. He swept her off her feet, in the classic and romantic courting her kind of way. He made her happy, she knew she was appreciated with him. After a couple years they married.

Gary was a great guy. Loved to laugh and loved showing Fran a good time. As the years passed Gary got sick. Lung disease. He was forced to be on oxygen and about a year ago he received a lung transplant. He had been on the transplant list for over a year and during that time the oxygen deprivation he suffered damaged his kidneys, liver and gall bladder.

For about 10 weeks now he has been in the hospital.

A few days ago Gary decide to not be on any life support systems. Expecting a rather immediate end people gathered and waited. The strength of the man prevailed and he lived, conscious, talking and visiting with family and friends for two more days.

Sunday December 23 at about 5 am Gary died in his sleep. On his terms, in his way he met his maker.

Gary, my friend, my father in law... you will be missed. Rest in peace.

11 comments:

Jan said...

dnr..my heartfelt sympathy to you and your family.

I know that this season is not as happy as it would have been, but you can take comfort in knowing that he was able to do things,as you said, on his own terms.

I can tell that you loved him, and I know you will miss him.

May this season be as happy as possible for you and your family.

k said...

DNR - jan said it for me.

It's never easy to lose someone we love. But to lose someone as fine as this is especially lonesome and hard.

I feel for you.

Dazd said...

Dnr my brother, God will take care of him now. I will keep you and your family in my prayers and thoughts.

Anonymous said...

So sorry! Big hugs to you buddy!

B. Miller said...

I'm so sorry to hear of your loss... my condolences. Take care... you're in my thoughts.

Kat said...

OMG - I'm so sorry. So, so sorry. (((hugs))

Anonymous said...

I'm sorry for your loss.

Keep his memory alive as best you can, and that will be the greatest legacy a man could hope for.

Nancy said...

Y'all ride safely. You'll be carrying a lot of us with you on your ride.

I'm glad he had the last days of his life to spend as he wished.

Anonymous said...

So sorry for your family's loss DNR.

Judy said...

My sympathy to your mother-in-law and your family. Gary sounds like he was a good fellow and will be greatly missed.

Pink Icing said...

how wonderful that your mother in law got to spend some quality time in her life with a good gentleman. With such strength of character I'm sure he touched the lives of so many people and will be greatly missed yet never forgotton
My thoughts are with you all