Sunday, December 24, 2006

Did You See Me

I saw you hug your purse closer to you in the grocery store line.

But, you didn't see me put an extra $10.00 in the collection bucket at the store.

I saw you pull your child closer when we passed each other on the sidewalk.

But, you didn't see me playing Santa at the VA hospital.

I saw you change your mind about going into the restaurant when I was already there.

But, you didn't see me attending a meeting to raise more money for the hurricane relief.

I saw you roll up your window and shake your head while talking on your phone when I drove by

But, you didn't see me driving behind you when you flicked your cigarette butt out the car window.

I saw you frown at me when I smiled at your children.

But, you didn't see me when I took time off from work to run toys to the homeless.

I saw you stare at my long hair.

But, you didn't see me and my friends cut ten inches off for Locks of Love.

I saw you roll your eyes at our leather coats and gloves.

But, you didn't see me and my brothers donate our old coats and gloves to those that had none.

I saw you look in fright at my tattoos.

But, you didn't see me cry as my children were born and me having their name tattooed on my skin and in my heart forever.

I saw you change lanes while rushing off to go somewhere.

But, you didn't see me going home to be with my family.

I saw you complain about how loud and noisy our bikes can be.

But, you didn't see or hear me when you were changing the CD and drifted into my lane.

I saw you yelling at your kids in the car.

But, you didn't see me pat my child's hands knowing he was safe behind me.

I saw you, reading the newspaper or map as you drove down the road.

But, you didn't see me squeeze my wife's leg when she told me to take the next turn.

I saw you, race down the road in the rain.

But, you didn't see me get soaked to the skin so I could honor the memory of a fallen solder.

I saw you run the yellow light just to save a few minutes of time.

But, you didn't see me trying to turn right.

I saw you cut me off because you needed to be in the lane I was in.

But, you didn't see me leave the road.

I saw you, waiting impatiently for my friends to pass.

But, you didn't see me. I wasn't there.

I saw you go home to your family.

But, you didn't see me, because, I died that day you cut me off.

I was just a biker and a person with friends and a family.

But, you didn't see me.



In memory of Tim Neeley (PGR Member, Father, Grandfather, Husband) of Indianapolis, IN. Killed October 11th, 2006 when hit from behind while ridding his motorcycle near Knoxville, TN. This is his childrens first Christmas without their father.

Excerpt from Knoxville paper

An Anderson County grand jury indicted pick-up driver last week. 51-year-old Barry Lynn Brummett was indicted on two counts of vehicular homicide and one count of aggravated vehicular homicide in connection with an October 11th accident in which he struck a motorcyclist from behind on Seivers Boulevard and killed the rider. The accident occurred near the I-75 interchange and killed 49-year-old Timothy Neeley of Indianapolis when Neeley was dragged some 80 feet under Brummett’s truck. Brummett told police after the wreck that he had been sipping a beer shortly before hitting Neeley and several witnesses told police that his truck had been speeding and driving recklessly in the moments leading up to the crash. Brummett, who has two previous drunk-driving convictions, is accused of being drunk. He was served with the papers on Wednesday at the Jail, where he remains in custody without bond.

13 comments:

Kat said...

OMG - how tragically sad. My thoughts & prayers are with the family this christmas... (((hugs)))

Pepper said...

That is so sad. I have seen some near misses and people just don't pay attention to folks on motorcycles. This idiot was drunk to boot. I hope he is sent up the river.

Pink Icing said...

Too many accidents, too many inhuries.....

Pink Icing said...

I mean injuries of course, sprry. late at night here in drizzly cold England.....

Dazd said...

I'm glad they caught the bastard and hopefully he'll get his justice served on a cold tray.

Anonymous said...

Bless Tim Neeley and his family.

Tom Bailey said...

Very nice writting.

DirkStar said...

My wife is an insurance agent. She is always angry with how people ignore bikers.

Your piece was very good! Just because an individual chooses to ride a motorcycle does not mean his humanity is forfeit!

People are rude to those they denigrate as less than human.

BIKERS ARE HUMAN, GIVE THEM THE SAME RESPECT YOU WANT FOR YOUR OWN KIDS.

Nice post.

Sorry, my dander got raised a tad.

Anonymous said...

How sad. Did you write that tribute? It's fantastic, please make it a permanent link.

I'm glad they caught the driver, now I hope they don't let him off lightly.

skeet said...

I'm only just catching up on reading several weeks of blogs that I've been missing while trying to feather my nest over at PPP. I've missed some very good stuff. I'll try to keep up better in the future.

Excellent post; thoughtful, well-written and much needed.

I'm sorry to say that endangering bikers seems to be much worse over here than in other places I've lived. It's amazing how often I see someone changing lanes without checking their blindspot. Dangerous to other cars around them, more apt to be fatal to bikers, yet I see it almost every time I drive on the freeway. I lost a friend to just such lack of regard when we were teens. Maybe that's what engendered my awareness. I will NOT be the one to run over you when some idiot cuts you off and makes you lay it down in front of me, because I will have allowed some extra room for just such an eventuality. I'll be the one parking in the lane behind you, hoping fervently that other drivers see my flashers and slow down so they won't kill both of us while I try to help.

Courtesy, awareness and common sense are what's needed. I'm pretty sure you're not required to be an old fuddy-duddy like me to have those things.

Anonymous said...

Just discovered your blog...beautiiful writing.

Anonymous said...

That is a nice tribute to Tim. He was a very important man to me and my family. Just a side note: he is from Indianapolis. And he was a grandfather as well.

DNR said...

Anonymous - I have fixed the city and added Grandfather - Thank you!!
I am so glad some part of this touched you.

I ride with a 3x4 American flag on my bike. During missions I fly a banner with Tim's name on it on the top of the flag pole. He rides with us in spirit at all missions. We will not forget him.

Respect

DNR