Wednesday, December 19, 2007

Remember Sgt. Kenneth R. Booker

This was Sunday, December 9th...

I left the house at about 7 am. It was cold, about 31° if I remember, and raining. Not real hard, just enough to keep you face and hands wet if you were on a motorcycle.

The ride was... ok. Fitting. A man had died, doing what he believed, fighting for freedoms, yours, mine and those of a people nearly 5,000 miles away. He IS a hero.


--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
IMMEDIATE RELEASE No. 1327-07
November 17, 2007

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

DoD Identifies Army Casualty

The Department of Defense announced today the death of a soldier who was supporting Operation Iraqi Freedom.
Sgt. Kenneth R. Booker, 25, of Vevay, Ind., died Nov. 14, in Mukhisa, Iraq, of wounds sustained when an improvised explosive device detonated near his vehicle. He was assigned to the 2nd Battalion, 23rd Infantry Regiment, 4th Stryker Brigade Combat Team, 2nd Infantry Division, Fort Lewis, Wash.


For more information, media may contact the Fort Lewis public affairs office at (253) 967-0152, (253) 967-0147 or after hours at (253) 967-0015 (ask for the Public Affairs Officer on call).


--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

When we stand flag lines at these ‘missions’ our placement is random. That is, I don’t always stand 3rd on down on the left side. We just walk over and stand. If I remember right there was about 50, maybe 60 of us there. When I took my place with a flag the sidewalk was covered, so I went to a place facing the doors across the drive. The limousines and hurs would pull up in front of me. As Sergeant booker was being carried out, I was moved to tears. Standing in front of me, at attention and saluting was Ken’s father. Sergeant (I believe) Charles Booker. Army uniform pressed, standing proud. Lord, did I cry.

Sgt. Booker - Know that I am grateful for your families service and the sacrifice you have made. Ken will not be forgotten. God bless you.

************************************************

Here is a related story.

No comments: