Monday, October 23, 2006

You Want it When??!!??

What is it with sales scum asking for things a couple hours before they need it?? I forget deadlines more than most people, but when it’s crunch time, I always tell the person I’m dumping on that I dropped the ball and need their help. Does anybody really believe that a customer needs something in 2 hours, when all of our other projects take 6 – 18 months…? Do sales dweebs really think engineers believe that the customer is demanding an answer in 2 hours???

If you’re in sales, we don’t. Not for a minute. We believe you forgot, dropped that ball, didn’t write yourself a note, drank too much on the golf course, whatever. I’ll bet this is 90% of the reason for the hostilities between most sales departments and engineering departments.

So, at about 4:00, I get an e-mail from this “dweeb”, needing an answer by 5:00. OK, look like about 6 hours of work (which, in a technical position means 2 days. I am always interrupted by questions on “can we do this…”, “What happens if we…?”, which can almost fill an 8 hour day researching and discussing). I whipped something out just now, 6 hours of work in less than 2 hours. What a dumb a$$. I’ve gone back and looked at it… Jeesh, type-o’s, things not aligned right, what a freak’n mess. Shouldn’t have done it…

We technical folks also seem to me a bit anal about our work.

I hate being that rushed.

Any body else?

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I agree DNR I can't stand being rushed. When I'm rushed I'm very likely to:

a) Get freakin cranky
b) make mistakes
c) do shoddier work
d) Get very freakin cranky
e) Threaten someone with bodily harm.
f) All of the above

The answer is "f"! :)

Joe said...

Man don't even get me going about engineers. Ask for a simple life calculation and the engineer will spend two weeks telling you A) why the customer does not need it B) why he cannot give the information because of other component variables, etc. till my eyes glaze, C) how busy he is...

I open the catalog and give the correct info to the customer.

Keep in mind the sales guy that asks for information with little time to do the work probably got the demand from an ENGINEER at the customer who forgot he needed the information because he was making anal little notes and planning the exact layout of his desk on autocad!

Joe said...

Oh, and welcome to the blog world!

DNR said...

ROTFL!!!! Hoosierboy - That's great!