Saturday, June 23, 2007

A Mission - Lcpl. Nathanial D. Windsor

Today I heard a father talk of teaching a son to fish and I thought back to the days I spent fishing with my sons. I heard about a son that even in his early years drew every picture with a flag in the background and thought about the pictures my sons drew and I still have at my desk at work. Stories about an infectious laugh and a sense of humor that was contagious and could light up a room. I heard a father speak, and cry, with so much pride in his son. A son, successful and proud, is a hero, especially to his dad.

This son, Lcpl. Nathanial D. Windsor, 20, of Scappoose, Oregon & Huntington, Indiana is a hero. Assigned to the 2nd Battalion, 7th Marine Regiment, 1st Marine Division, I Marine Expeditionary, died from wounds received while conducting combat operations in Al Anbar province, Iraq in March of 2007.

Today, we stood to honor this man, this hero, this son, as his family remembered him. They spoke of earlier days when a boy was excited to learn and tell everyone that there were man eating turtles in a local canoeing spot. A wiry boy with the heart of a Marine, even years before that decision was made.

God bless the Windsor family. No words can express the flood of feelings from this days events…

Thank you for your service and thank you for your sacrifice. You, Lcpl. Nathanial D. Windsor, will not be forgotten.


A Guest book.

A story.

No comments: