Wednesday, January 03, 2007

Any Year That Starts on Your Bike, Is Gonna be a Good Year

January 1st. The missus and I rise at 8 am (went to bed at 2:30 am) and dress for our first (I hope it is a new tradition) “Hangover Ride”. The Midwest Motor Cycle Club has put this ride on for 26 years. Last year the weather was perfect, there was over 900 bikes riding around south Indianapolis for about 5 hours. This ride, the weather was… different. When we left the house is was 28° and sleeting (very lightly). Met up with another rider and headed down to the club house to register. When we got there it was raining and I was thinking we were going to be doing this alone. We had passed several other bikes on the way, but I was expecting 20-30. The parking area had 150 bikes in it when we arrived and many more came in behind us.

Since I was the only one in our group with a rider, I got to lead and the missus got to read the directions and relay them on to me. To make things easier for her, we/they taped (duct-taped - I looked like I had on a silver-gray tank top) the directions to my back. We headed off, raining 31-33°. Covered about 85 miles with 5 stops. When we got back to the club house I drew a pair of 5s, some rather lucky SOB had already had a straight, so we left.

Altogether there was a little over 300 bikes the MMC raised a little over $5,000.

All things considered, I hope this year gets better soon.

8 comments:

Kat said...

brrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr..... sounds COLD! LOL glad all went well.

Here's to the start of a new tradition for ya!

Anonymous said...

How old was the Oldest Motorcycle?

DirkStar said...

How cool, no pun intended...

I'm a little under the weather...

I hope to post tomorrow.

Anonymous said...

Ughh...I would have been a popsicle by the time it was over. I'm a weenie when it comes to cold weather. However it sounds like you and the missus had a good time, and that's all that matters. :)

Kathy Trejo said...

cool profile picture! and that thing holding up the sign with our IP address is funny! :)

Happy New year!

Anonymous said...

I hate being cold, I'm like dragon, I'm a big weanie when it comes to cold weather. However I am glad you all had a good time. Brrrr!

DNR said...

Kat - I really hope so, it was so much fun.

Janet - Oldest I saw was lat 70's. With the rain we didn't stick around too long to look at bikes.

dirk - get well soon

Drags - guess you're rely gald it didn't get real cold during your visit.

Kathy - Glad you like them. Think I'll post and explain. A lot of people ask about the skull face.

russkal said...

Cool bike! Cooler blog.

Yet another great find from Dirk's comments pool.

Loved your posts, especially "Did you see me?"

I'll be coming back for more. Keep it up!