Thursday, January 04, 2007

"What's With The Skull Mask?"


Let Me Explain…

A lot of people have commented and asked about the ‘new’ avatar.

It’s nothing really.

In the past year or two, I and my wife have come to realize, that I was born to ride. A motor cycle that is. (see here, here and here) I ride in the rain and in the cold and this mask (made of a closed cell rubber) is a great insulator. It keeps me warm and somewhat dry.

Back in September, on one particularly rainy ride, a group of us (about 12 motorcycles) were merging on to I-65 heading north. As we were getting up to speed, a line of traffic was passing us. Lots of people waving, smiles, etc. We fly 3x5 American flags, POW/MIA flags and PGR flags, so we get cheers, thumbs up and occasional ‘thank yous’. However, when they see me, mouths drop open, little kids press their noses against the glass with cute little looks of horror and looks of utter amazement. I have even seen passengers say “did you see that?” to their drivers. One particular SUV went by, then slowed. When they got back to about even with me, the passengers window came down and **FLASH** she took my picture!!! (never have gotten the other ‘flash’ but I’m still hopeful!! lol) Good thing I wear dark glasses, they helped to minimize the floating purple spots. It’s actually happened about half a dozen times. Always makes me laugh. I don’t really think I’m that unique.

So, if you see a skull faced rider around central Indiana (err I could be in Ohio, Illinois, Michigan and possibly Wisconsin. heh, this summer I have tentative plans to go to DC and/or Arkansas.) wave, take my picture, send me a copy. K?

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

I will definitely be on the look out for a skull faced rider. We should have some kind of signal so you'll know it's Goldbloom.

DirkStar said...

I'll be looking and just maybe, if yer lucky, I'll give the flash yer lookin fer...

Uh, you did realize this morning's post was about a video game?

Kind of a commentary on addictions...

Bolgs, keeping me away from video games....

Anonymous said...

I still think you should change your avatar back to the handsome devil. ;-)

DNR said...

Mrs J - I think if we see each other, we'll know.

Dirk - Ummm, thanks. But I think I'd have to close my eyes and taht would be bad on a bike. LOL!

Janet - Thanks, you're too sweet. I'll change it soon, just for you.

Pepper said...

If I see you in my travels I will definitely take a picture.

Kathy Trejo said...

Wow! thats really cool that you wear that mask riding. i bet it is warm. my husband has a goldwing and we use to ride up and down the coast, but sadly the poor bike is now a flower pot! parking it in our backyard and eaten alive by the outdoor elements.

Anonymous said...

where did you get the mask?

Anonymous said...

A trip to San Diego a couple years back.

DNR