Thursday, January 24, 2008

Zen Summary X

Pray to God, but hammer away. - Spanish Proverb

A monk asked Wei-kuan; “Where is Tao?”
Wei-kuan answered: “Right in front of us.”
“Why don’t I see it?” asked the monk.
“Because of you egotism.”
“But if I cannot see it because of my egotism, can you see it?”
“As long as there is ‘I and thou,’” said the master, “this complicates everything and there is no seeing Tao.”
“Then when there is neither ‘I’ nor ‘thou’, it is seen?”
The master replied: “When there is neither ‘I’ nor ‘thou’, who is here to see it?” - Zen Mondo

Zen is a matter of character, not a matter of intellect. - D. T. Suzuki

I must consider myself a corpse which has neither intelligence nor will: be like a mass of matter which without resistance lets itself be placed wherever it may please anyone; like a stick in the hand of an old man, who uses it according to his needs and places it where it suites him. - St. Ignatius Loyola

“Just ask, just ask!” says the dew, and rolls away. - Issa

No comments: