Wednesday, November 15, 2006

A Bikers Dilemma

Do you ride? If so, what?

As you know, I ride a Harley Davidson (HD) with the PGR (Patriot Guard Riders). The bike I own is a 1983 FXR. Not that, that means much to you, but suffice it to say it is old school. No windshield, the engine is a ‘shovel head’ which is a design HD did away with in ’84. It is chain drive which HD did away with in ’84-’86. Over the course of this summers riding, it has spent about half of the time in the shop. (let the HD bashing commence). Currently is it broke and sitting in our garage. My wife, who originally wanted nothing to do with me riding and that fool bike, has actually taken a liking to it. When the bike broke last Thursday, she said, “I don’t want to be with out a bike, you should get a new one”

You could have knocked me over with a feather. But this begs the questions, what kind should I get? Stay with HD? Change to Yamaha? BMW?

What would you buy??

7 comments:

concerned citizen said...

I know nothing about bikes. I just came over to say Hi! You are new to blogging or just a new blog?

Dazd said...

Go with what feels right. Have you test driven those you've mentioned? I realize its a bit chilly to test drive...but still if you're not sure about an HD, then I'd give each brand a test run.

Back in the day when I was riding my 79 Suzuki GS 850, which was in 1993 I believe, Honda Goldwings were all the rave. I have no idea what all the rave is now...

Go with what feels right and a damn good ride.

Anonymous said...

I'm not qualified to answer that question, but the other day at the bank parking lot an old geezer pulled up on a Honda. I just stared at him, he must have been in his 70s. Looked pretty good in leather, until he put his helmet in a wooden box on the back and put on a dirty old plaid fishing hat. That ruined the fantasy for me.

concerned citizen said...

Hey! picture of the daughter on my blog.

DirkStar said...

Uh ,it is a wizard's link. Look again, she is a crafty one...

Kathy Trejo said...

I don't know anything about motorcycles either. My husband loves motorcycles. We have a Goldwing with leather bags on the sides. I use to be fearless riding on the back with my husband, but I've seen so many accidents that it scares me these days. It's the other drivers on the road that I don't trust...you gotta be careful. If you live in the country without a lot of cars go for it! :)

DirkStar said...

Why I would never mess with you because you're a republican!

You're an endangered species now.

You must be protected and preserved so that future generations can look back on your species with pity...

He-he...