Tuesday, November 21, 2006

Flying for Business

I “got” to go to Nashville, TN yesterday. Had to fly, should have driven. It’s what, 6 hours to Nashville from Indianapolis. Counting the drive from my house to the airport it was almost 8 hours to ‘fly’. And, isn’t flying fun these days. The security check, scans and puffs of air are ok. I can handle that, even an occasional pat-down. But come on, a bag of pretzels is a dollar. And I can hold the entire contents in the palm of my hand. I can also put the entire contents in my mouth. A drink (beer or shot) is $5, that’s worse than the RCA Dome. At least soft drinks are still free. God forbid should you want to eat; a cold sandwich, with an apple, chips and cookies is $10.

I fly about 6 times a year for business and have been to San Diego, New York City, San Antonio and Ottawa Canada and many place in between. But this quick little jump to Nashville (2 planes, had to layover in Memphis) had both the smoothest landing and the roughest landing I have ever had. The smooth one was cool, I’ve hit pot holes harder that they guy landed that plane. I could have slept through it. The rough one, OMG!! Have you ever been jolted so hard that your neck made a crunching noise??? Me neither, but this landing, WHAM!!! And we were on the ground, no feathering or floating and at least trying to come in smooth, just SLAM!!! Like the pilot was saying “there f’ers, you’re on the ground and alive, I’ve done my job”. You know how you can tell the pilot thinks the lading was rough, they don’t open the door to the cockpit until everyone is off the plane. Usually they are out there saying thanks with the other stewards. Not these guys that door was still locked.

I waited on the walk for about 5 minutes after everyone else was off and they still weren’t coming out, must have seen me standing out there.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I hate flying, actually I don't mind the flying as much as I do the whole airport debacle. Airports Suck!...especially the Atlanta Airport.

Anonymous said...

LOL... I remember when Goldbloom and I flew to Florida from Indiana. The pilot thought he was a comedian, and kept cracking jokes. Not very comforting to know his first pick at a career would have been a standup comedian.