Monday, November 06, 2006

‘Breaking the Law, Breaking the Law’ – Judas Priest

Paid my $5 to enter a State Park with my wife Sunday. We like to walk trails less traveled, so we road around for a few minutes looking for a place where no one or very few people were.

On the edge of one of the large parking lots we found a driveway with a sigh on a saw horse that said “Area Closed”. Being that the lot was empty and we could see a trail right down the road, we parked and headed down.

If you like hiking and nature, this was a good little hike. We saw two hawks, possibly a nested pair, a wood pecker several Red birds and many other little finch type birds. There were many squirrels out too, who, on a somewhat warm late fall day, were scurrying around in the leaves and up and down the trees like toddlers on their 3rd cup of cappuccino. They’re so funny, I could stop and watch them for hours. We also scared up a couple deer, maybe more. I’m sure they get a kick out of scaring the bejeebers out of hikers. They could slowly walk away before we get close, but NOOooo. They wait till we are about 30 feet from them then bolt!! All I could see was white tails and back hooves. (read ass-holes and elbows) Leaves flying up all over the place, branches cracking. We both ‘bout jumped out of our skins.

Heading back we stopped along the trail to read signs about the local trees. It is rather challenging when there are no leaves (on the trees) to figure out which tree they are talking about. As we top the hill heading back “Ranger Rick” pulls up and yells “You’re not suppose to be back here. The sign says “AREA CLOSED”!!!”.
‘What, even to hikers?!?’ I screamed to my self. ‘How in the hell would you police that??’ I mumbled under my breath. There was a trail down the hill that went do another parking area, without their precious sign. So if we had parked there we would have walked in the same area and never seen their blessed signs. We walked back up to the road and he… waited. Then followed us out the road - WTF!!. What were we going to do, shoot all of the deer, build a meth lab, take dirty picture of the squirrels… WHAT!!??

My wife says it was because we were in black chaps, jeans, black leather jackets and ridding the Harley...

...but that would be profiling… Wouldn’t it??

11 comments:

DirkStar said...

ridding the Harley... Is that a euphemism?

I must be a Harley in the sack cause my wife is always kick-starting me...

Euphemism

DirkStar said...

ridding the Harley... Is that a euphemism?

I must be a Harley in the sack cause my wife is always kick-starting me...

http://jestersrap.blogspot.com/

Anonymous said...

Geez that ranger needs to work on his people skills. Talk about putting a damper on the whole back to nature experience.

It's been ages since I've been on a Harley...I'm talking 20 years!

Dazd said...

You two just can't go anywhere without getting/causing trouble!

DNR said...

Dirk_star – No euphemisms here, just serious bloging. Get your OL some A$$less chaps. They won’t leave as many marks as the ‘kick-starting’. Thanks for dropping by.

Mrs.J – People skills would be nice. Every time I hear something about the DNR (no relation…) on the news they are talking about dropping attendance and cutting features. Did you know they don’t have trash cans in many state parks any more… “you brought it in, you take it out”. Cost too much to have garbage men come in and empty the cans…

It was 20 years for me to. But WOW, talk about therapy. 20-30 min on the bike and a bad day blows off like bug guts on your goggles. lol

Dazd – And just when is the last time you know of, that we got into trouble… wait, don’t answer that.

Anonymous said...

I say the squirrels ratted you out. They're very protective of their nuts.

Anonymous said...

Then how the hell did you escape them drags! :)

Anonymous said...

"build a meth lab, take dirty pictures of squirrels"...

That made me laugh.

Anonymous said...

I'd assume you were down there checking on your marijuana plants.

All kidding aside, sounds like you got in a lot of nature watching before getting the bum's rush. Any photos?

Anonymous said...

btw, nice reference to a priest song, however I can't hear that song anymore without thinking about Beavis and Butthead. ::sigh::

Pepper said...

I see what you mean, he must of been the same Ranger Rick that I met.

I didn't even have the opportunity to "build a meth lab, take dirty pictures of squirrels"... before I was asked to leave.

Funny Post