Tuesday, November 21, 2006

Flying - Part Duex

On one of the legs of my trip I got to be on the plane nearly first. (No I don’t fly first class, my employer is too cheap or I’m not worth the cost, I like to believe it is the first.) Being first and nearly in the back of the plane I got to see everyone else as they came on board, looked for their seats, stowed their luggage, etc.

I find it absolutely amazing in a weird kinda profound discovery way, that no one makes eye contact… Why? I’m not that scary looking… (at least I think so, my wife thinks so… I think. Dazd??) Even someone that needed help finding the row numbers did not look at any other passengers. He just looked blankly at the AC knobs and asked out loud as if he expected the whistling air to tell him where his row was. Another guy whose seat was obviously behind mine stared at the back bulk head and walked, very fast for being on a plane, right past everyone, never breaking his gaze from the rear wall.

Are we that scared as a society that we cannot make eye contact with other humans? Does it seem reasonable to ask the knobs for help? Has the modern media scared us so much with ‘Next Door Neighbor has Bodies Buried in Backyard’ headlines that we trust no one?

Next time I fly, I’m gonna push the envelope a little. Everyone that is looking in my general direction is going to get a “Hi, how are you” from me… Stay posted, as of now my next trips is in January. Phoenix, AZ. If you don’t hear from me, somebody send out the search dogs.

5 comments:

Dazd said...

You scary to look at? Nawwwww I'm sure you're gonna be faced with many different reactions with this concept. Good luck!

DirkStar said...

C'mon... Is that really the best argument you've got?

Cowboys and indian mentality...

Let's rustle up a posse and go get them before they come to town!

Please...

If you wish to engage me in debate please do something more than quote the idiot from Texas.

I never swallowed the lie from day one...

Anonymous said...

I'm with you DNR I always try and make eye contact, and I can tell it makes a lot of people uncomfortable. Sometimes I get frustrated with the direction our society is heading...then I think "screw em". LOL

Anonymous said...

I think that people don't make eye contact on planes because they know that the plane could crash in the mountains and they might have to eat one of the passengers, so they don't want to know what you look like. Oh, wait, that was a movie.

I think part of it is being scared of flying and not wanting to show it; part is because people think if you make eye contact you want to talk to them. I dunno.

Happy Thanksgiving!

Anonymous said...

Happy Thanksgiving DNR!